Dentists in La Habra, CA offer orthodontics treatment using Invisalign
The appearance of your smile is important. Beautiful, straight teeth are healthy and can make you feel better about yourself. We understand the importance of a winning smile, but also that our patients have unique needs. At Summit Dental in La Habra, CA, we offer orthodontics and treatment options for teenagers and adults. Depending on the patient’s need, we offer traditional braces, clear braces, and Invisalign trays to help patients achieve the healthy smiles they deserve.
No matter which treatment is used, the goal of orthodontics treatment is to improve the function and appearance of the smile. With crowded or misaligned teeth, there are more hidden areas where bacteria can accumulate. Straight, aligned teeth are easier to brush and floss since there are fewer hard-to-reach areas. Whether the treatment uses brackets and wires or aligner trays, orthodontic treatments correct issues with the bite, crowding, and spacing to move the teeth into proper alignment thus improving the health, appearance, and functionality of the smile.
One of our dentists will help you choose the most appropriate treatment option for your individual needs. Common orthodontic issues include the following:
- Crooked or crowded teeth – Patients who have small mouths may not have enough room in the jaw for the teeth to fit nicely. This leads to crooked, crowded teeth or hygiene issues with areas that are hard to clean.
- Gapped teeth – The teeth help protect the gums. When there are large spaces, problems including gum disease can arise.
- Overbite – When teeth of the upper jaw extend over the bottom, this is called an overbite. Although common, left untreated a large overbite can lead to problems with the gums and jaw or extensive wear on the bottom teeth.
- Underbite – An underbite occurs when the bottom teeth stick out past the front teeth. This prevents the front teeth and molars from aligning and working properly. It can cause tooth wear or problems with the jaw joints.
- Open bite – When the teeth do not fully meet when a person bites down, the individual may have an open bite. An open bite can lead to speech, bite, and jaw problems.
Orthodontic treatment using Invisalign
As an FDA approved treatment, Invisalign effective, clear design has made it a popular orthodontic treatment for patients with mild to moderate orthodontic needs. Invisalign uses clear, BPA-free plastic trays that are created using impressions of the patient’s teeth. The trays fit snugly, yet comfortably around the teeth to ensure they stay in place. The clear plastic is not noticeable to others, so patients can straighten with ease and confidence.
Rather than using brackets and wires, aligner trays rely on gentle pressure to gradually move the teeth into proper alignment. A series of trays is used. Each set is worn for a couple weeks as specified by your dentist. After a couple weeks, that set of trays is discarded and a new set is worn. The placement of pressure changes with each set of trays to promote continuous movement.
Invisalign trays are removable. They can be taken out to eat and brush, but otherwise should be worn as directed. Usually, trays should be worn for 20 hours per day for optimal results. Removing the trays unnecessarily may result in an unsuccessful treatment and increase the likelihood of needing additional orthodontic correction. Invisalign has its limitations please consult us for your specific situation.
The clear plastic trays make Invisalign a popular orthodontic treatment for teenagers and adults. Patients achieve straight, beautiful smiles and a boost in self-esteem. There are additional benefits to using aligner trays.
- Individualized treatment – Aligner trays are customized using impressions of the patient’s teeth. The treatment plan and series of trays are created to shift the teeth into alignment based on the patient’s needs.
- Comfortable – Invisalign trays fit comfortably and snugly around the teeth. They use gentle pressure to gradually move the teeth.
- Effective – When worn as directed by a dentist, aligner trays effectively straighten the teeth.
- Clear – The plastic trays are made of clear, BPA free plastic so they are not immediately noticeable.
- Removable – Patients can take out their trays as needed to eat and to brush and floss their teeth.